Version Available: Released in MM Version 8.5.1
Migration Manager can be set up to enable BPAY as a payment service so your clients can pay invoices and make deposits using internet banking. Note that BPAY is only available to Australian organisations, for invoices raised in AUD. Once you have enabled BPAY in Migration Manager, BPAY payment details will appear on Invoices and/or Deposit Requests.
1. Register to Become a BPAY Biller
If you have not already done so, you will first need to register with BPAY and your financial institution to become a BPAY Biller for the accounts that you want to receive payments in to. Further information on you can register and use BPAY can be found at: http://www.bpay.com.au
Note that the support team at Migration Manager can not assist with this registration process.
2. Obtain your BPAY Biller Code(s)
Once you have successfully registered to be a BPAY Biller, your financial institution will provide you with a BPAY Biller Code for your account. You will need this to set up BPAY in Migration Manager. If you have registered multiple accounts (such as an Operating Account for invoices and a Trust Account for client fund deposits), you will need a separate Biller Code for each of the accounts.
3. Go to the BPAY system preferences
In the top toolbar, navigate to Tools > Administrative > Preferences to open the system preferences window.
Once the Preferences window opens, go to the Accounts tab and then go to the BPAY tab.
4. Add the Biller Code to your Bank Account
Before you can enable BPAY, you must first add your Biller Code to the relevant Bank Account(s) which you have set up and registered for BPAY.
Note: It is important that you make sure you record the correct Biller Code against the correct Bank Account as the Biller Code determines which business and which account the funds will go in to.
4.1. Select the Relevant Bank Account
In the Bank Accounts panel, select the relevant Bank Account you wish to add a Biller Code to and then click the Edit button in the bottom right hand corner.
4.2. Add the Biller Code
When the edit window appears, add the relevant BPAY Biller Code and then click Save & Close.
5. Set the CRN Generation parameters
Next you will need to set how you will generate or record BPAY Customer Reference Numbers (CRN). In Migration Manager, you have two options:
- Unique - this option allows you to create and your own CRNs. if you select this option Migration Manager will not auto generate CRNs for you. This option is best used in scenarios where you use another system or process to generate BPAY CRNs and just want the ability to record those numbers in Migration Manager so that they appear on Invoices and/or Deposit Requests.
- Random - this option will automatically generate CRNs with the number of characters selected in the Length field (the default length including the check digit is 7 numerical characters, but you can go up to 20).
Note that if you choose Random you can also set the Check Digit Formula to either MOD10V05 or MOD10V01 depending on your financial institution's requirements.
6. Set the CRN Options
You will now need to specify whether CRNs should be generated on a per matter basis or on a per invoice or deposit request basis.
- Use one CRN per Matter - select this option if you want to have just one CRN for a matter that will be used for all of the invoices and/or deposit requests generated in a matter. Select this option if you want to be able to track and identify payments for a matter but don't need to use the CRN to identify the specific invoice or deposit request for which the payment has been made ; or
- Use one CRN per invoice/deposit request - select this option if you want a different CRN per invoice or deposit request. Select this option if you want to be able to identify which invoice or deposit request a payment relates to.
7. Enable BPAY
Once you have set all of the options, you can now tick Enable BPAY. Then click Save & Exit
8. Update Existing Matters
When you click Save & Exit you will be prompted as to whether you want to apply the settings to existing matters. Click Yes if you want the settings to apply to all of your matters or No if you just want the settings to apply to new matters.
Important - If you modify the CRN Generation or CRN Options at a later date, you will be asked whether you want to make these changes for existing matters. Be very careful with the decision you make as this may impact upon the invoices and deposit requests you have previously generated.
It is important to note you may need to setup 2 BPAY Biller Codes.
Why? A BPAY Code is linked to an individual bank account. As a migration agent, you are required to have two bank accounts:
- A Client/Trust Bank Account
- An Office Bank Account
If you want the ability to receive money via BPAY into both of these accounts, then 2 BPAY Biller Codes must be set up (one for each Bank Account)
If you don’t setup a BPAY Billing Code for your bank account and try to print a BPAY document, the BPAY details will not appear. Example:
- Without a Biller Code against the Office Bank Account, Invoices cannot print BPAY details.
- Without a Biller Code against the Client/Trust Bank Account, Deposit Requests cannot print BPAY details.